The Business Analyst is a key position in the discovery and delivery of business solutions from information technology. The Business Analyst, through continuous consultation with the functional areas, has a deep understanding of business operations and is capable of articulating solutions in business terms and not technical jargon. The Business Analyst is capable of envisioning potential value for new ITS solutions. He or she also assists in the development of the business case to justify the new investment. While a Business Analyst has a deep understanding of specific business areas, that expertise is set into a broader context of understanding of the business processes that may cross functional boundaries.
The Business Analyst is an individual contributor who is responsible for the gathering of business requirements to ensure business objectives are met by the new ITS solutions and is often a team member during the design, development and execution of enhancements/small projects. The Business Analyst must ensure the full systems lifecycle process is adhered to, overseeing solutions through the entire implementation process. He or she must be proficient in Project Management disciplines from requirements gathering through implementation of the functional solution. This includes communicating requirements and issues effectively to the technology team to resolve issues in a timely manner. The Business Analyst advocates for their clients and acts as the single point of contact for incident management, new services and resource allocation.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position reports to the Operations Manager and supports ITS Business Partners. They typically are aligned to specific business functions or organizations. They are responsible for developing and maintaining a trusted business relationship driving the greatest possible business value from ITS investments.
Specific areas of responsibility and influence include:
- Gathers and performs thorough analyses of all the information available
- Maintains client relationship within client groups
- Works closely with clients, to quickly understand new requirements or problems, and then suggest a possible solution
- Participates in solution design activities with client groups in a specific business area to create and to document the business requirements
- Oversees and follows up enhancements and small projects implementation activities including development and testing; working with functional and technical developers to ensure business requirements are clear and development activities are on schedule
- Develops test cases and performs testing to ensure requirements are met for system modifications or data extracts
- Consults with the clients on appropriate change management activities to achieve organizational readiness for the implementation of changes
- Demonstrates leadership by coordinating the requirements, specifications, and user acceptance testing efforts
- Participates in development of short term plans/budgets
- Supports incident and problem management for assigned functional areas and clients groups in support of on-going operations ensuring the resolution of aged items
- Seeks systemic solutions for recurring problems
- Supports quarterly enhancement cycle process
Responsible for timely renewals of software maintenance agreements
Bachelor's Degree in related discipline strongly preferred or commiserate years of experience.
Required experience, skills, professional attributes and qualities include the following:
- 1+ years of solutions and multiple domain experience with increasing levels of leadership responsibility in systems analysis, defining technical requirements, and performing high level design for complex solutions
- 1+ years of work experience in a roles that had a high level of client or end-user engagement with experience in both support and formal or informal leadership
- Experience in SAP is highly recommended
- Business process experience in the areas of Record to Report, Procure to Pay and/or Human Resources is a plus
- Experience in the Petrochemical Industry with strong business acumen
- Builds effective teams:
- Cultivates innovation:
- Customer focus:
- Demonstrates courage:
- Drives results:
- Ensures accountability:
- Instills trust and exemplifies integrity: